The July 1st Access, Noventis, and Sunova Credit Union merger is now complete. In order to perform integration activities leading up to the formal merge date, member personal information has been shared between the three entities in strict accordance with section 7.2(1) of PIPEDA as it relates to business transactions.
In April 2000, The House of Commons enacted the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act which affects the way corporations collect, maintain and use personally identifiable information. AcceleRate Financial has adopted a Privacy Code that is designed to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. This code follows the principles of Canada's privacy legislation as stated in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Protecting the personal information we collect and maintain is as important to us as it is to you. Like other organizations, we require a certain amount of personal information to conduct business and provide you with the products and services you are requesting. AcceleRate Financial will always treat your information in a confidential manner and is committed to keeping personal information confidential, secure and private. In adopting this Privacy Code for the Protection of Personal Information, what is the accepted practice of AcceleRate Financial becomes a documented commitment to our members.
AcceleRate Financial will always meet or exceed all privacy standards established by industry guidelines, provincial and federal legislations and other applicable laws.
Ten principles form the basis of our Privacy Code:
- Accountability. The credit union is responsible for the personal information under its control and shall designate an individual who is accountable for the credit union's compliance with the principles of the Code.
- Identifying Purposes. The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the credit union when or before the information is collected.
- Consent. The knowledge and consent of the member are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection. The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the credit union. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention. Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the member or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy. Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards. Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. The credit union will take the same standard of care as it takes to safeguard its own confidential information of a similar nature.
- Openness. The credit union shall make readily available to members specific, understandable information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access. Upon request, a member shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and shall be given access to that information. A member is entitled to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Compliance. A member shall be able to question compliance with the above principles to the designated individual accountable for the credit union's compliance. All inquiries regarding privacy should be in writing to the privacy officer.
Why We Ask For Your Information
We hold personal information about members to help us meet and maintain the highest standards of financial service. The information we ask for depends on which product or service you want. For every product or service, we need your name, address and some identification. We only collect and use the information for the purposes explained to you. Here is why we need some of the other information we ask you to provide:
- Birth date. This helps us identify you and ensure that no one is trying to impersonate you. We may also use it to determine your eligibility for products and services that may be of benefit to a particular age group.
- Social Insurance Number (SIN). Your SIN is required for products which earn investment income, in order to comply with Canada Revenue Agency's income reporting requirements. We also use it to keep your information separate from that of other customers with a similar name, including information we obtain with your consent through the credit approval process.
Cookies of third party providers and tracking
We use the services of other companies to optimize this website and our services. You will receive an overview of the services we use in the following section(s).
A. Google Analytics
If you visit this website using a mobile device (e.g. a smartphone or tablet), you can refuse the future use of Google Analytics via this link. By activating the link, we will put a cookie in your browser, which signals to us that we should prevent Google Analytics from using your device. Please keep in mind that you will have to repeat the refusal process if you remove the cookies from your browser.
B. Google AdWords Conversion Tracking
Cookies related to Google’s AdWords service are in use on this website. These are small text files saved on the user's computer. The information generated by the cookie about the website use will be transmitted to and stored on servers in the United States by Google. Using cookies, the user behavior on a website can be analyzed and subsequently utilized to provide targeted product recommendations and advertising based on the user's interests. Data stored in these cookies do not contain personally identifiable information.
C. Google AdWords Remarketing
This website uses Google's remarketing technology. This technology enables users who have already visited our online services and shown interest in our services to see targeted advertising on the websites of the Google partner network. Likewise, users that are similar to the visitors of this website can be included as part of the remarketing audience.
D. Facebook Conversion Tracking Pixel
With your permission, this website utilizes the Conversion Tracking Pixel service of Facebook Inc. This tool allows us to follow the actions of users after they are redirected to a provider's website by clicking on a Facebook advertisement. We are thus able to record the efficacy of Facebook advertisements for statistical and market research purposes. The collected data remain anonymous. This means that we cannot see the personal data of any individual user. However, the collected data are saved and processed by Facebook. We are informing you on this matter according to our information at this time. Facebook is able to connect the data with your Facebook account and use the data for their own advertising purposes, in accordance with Facebook's Data Use Policy found under: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/. Facebook Conversion Tracking also allows Facebook and its partners to show you advertisements on and outside Facebook. In addition, a cookie will be saved onto your computer for these purposes.
Only users over 13 years of age may give their permission.
Please click here if you would like to revoke your permission: https://www.facebook.com/ads/website_custom_audiences/.
E. Twitter Conversion Tracking
We use the Conversion Tracking service of Twitter Inc. This tracking records if a user of this website clicks on a link posted by Twitter. In this way, both we and Twitter can see if a registration has taken place. The identity of the user remains anonymous. In addition, we use Twitter's Tailored Audiences service. This enables us to appeal to this website's users with targeted advertisements. To do this, Twitter uses a code snippet (tag) which we have integrated into this website. No personal data are collected during this process. Tailored Audiences is also used to create lookalike targeting lists.
Protecting Your Privacy Over the Internet
Password Protection. Whenever you receive a temporary password we strongly encourage you to change it, as soon as possible, to something confidential and private, which only you would know. When changing passwords, you should avoid anything that includes information someone else knows or has access to, such as birth dates, addresses, any numbers found in your wallet or words associated with you. Your passwords are private and absolutely no one has the authority to obtain them from you at any time, including credit union staff or officials. Do not tell anyone your password. Your browser may give you the option of saving passwords for you, but for security reasons we do not advise you to use it.
Cookies. Web sites often collect non-personal information in small text files called "cookies" when you enter web sites. Some sites will place a cookie on your system so you don't have to identify yourself by entering a password each and every time you visit a site. Access Credit Union uses session cookies on its sites, which are only stored for the length of time you are in the site. They are not written to your hard drive and are used only to provide easier access while there. They are not used to identify users or to track usage. If you use the browser's option of saving a password, it will be saved in a cookie.
Browser Encryption. We require that 128-bit encryption be used when conducting financial transactions over the Internet. While every effort is made, through the use of industry recognized security standards, to continually protect personal information from misuse and alteration, Access Credit Union and its affiliates do not guarantee the security of your information over the Internet. If your browser does not support 128-bit encryption, you will have to download and install a version of your browser that supports it.
Cache Storage. Always log out of any site where you have viewed or sent personal or financial information. For added security and privacy, clearing your browser's cache at the end of every on-line session is a good habit to get into.
The purpose of caching is to make your browser more efficient by eliminating the need for it to reload previously viewed pages every time you visit. However, it also allows anyone to view those pages. You can clear your cache by deleting items in the Temporary Internet Files folder in your file manager, or through the browser itself.
E-mail. When you forward e-mail to Access Credit Union, we recommend that you use caution and do not include confidential information in those messages, as they are not encrypted. E-mail is very similar to that of a post card and along the way someone can read every word that has been written.
Upon receipt of your e-mail, we may store your correspondence and exact e-mail address for future communications directly with you. Under no circumstances do we sell e-mail addresses or share them with any other party.
When you apply for a new product or service, we indicate in the application or agreement how we intend to use your information. If we need to use it for another purpose, we will ask you for your consent at that time.
We treat your private information in a confidential manner. Our employees are required to sign a confidentiality agreement as a condition of employment.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our member services team:
2018 AcceleRate Financial, a division of Access Credit Union. All rights reserved. Unless otherwise specified, the content of this website, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, buttons, images, data, icons and code, is the property of AcceleRate Financial, a division of Access Credit Union.
Information on this website is intended for personal use only.
AcceleRate Financial, a division of Access Credit Union, is not accountable or responsible for any actions once the website is exited. Links to other websites are for reference only and may not be directly endorsed by AcceleRate Financial.